Droopy Tomato Plant Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Fairfax, Vi
Question by wplandry14
I recently bought a tomato plant. I re-potted it, leaving the roots in tact and simply adding additional potting soil under, around, and on top of the root system. I water the plant everyday. It receives sunlight from sunrise until ~3:00pm. The leaves are green but droopy. What should I do?

0

Even though you were careful in repotting, the plant is probably still making some adjustments to its new home. Unless the soil dries out everyday, you may be watering too frequently. When the soil remains too wet it can affect the vascular system and actually suffocate the roots. Check the moisture content of the soil before watering by sticking your finger down into the soil. If it is still moist a half inch below the surface, you won't need to water for a day or two; if it feels dry, it's time to water. Water can collect at the bottom of the container and keep things too wet so don't just water on a schedule, but check to make sure the soil is actually drying out before automatically watering your plant. I think your tomato plant will perk up when the roots get oxygen as well as moisture. Best wishes with your tomato plant.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"