Tall fescue grass - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, Ca
Question by elite_7
I started my lawn with Scotts EZ seed. once the gras grew in, I cut it and being overzealous, i spread Scotts Weed blocker and fertilizer. my grass has been dormant for a month. What is my plan to get back my lush green yard.

0

The general rule of thumb is to wait until you've mowed a new lawn 2-3 times before using weed killers. This time span allows the roots to become well established and more able to tolerate weed killers. Your weed blocker contains a pre emergent herbicide that will stop seeds (grass or weed) from germinating and I think that's why the grass has stalled. There's probably a waiting period listed on the package between application and overseeding or seeding a lawn. This will tell you how long the residual effect might be. For instance, with Scotts with Halts, the product can remain active for 4 months. Check the package to see what the waiting period is and you'll have an idea of when you can expect the pre emergent to become ineffective and your lawn will be able to grow. In the meantime, just water regularly and withhold any fertilizer until you see healthy new growth. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"