brown spots in the lawn - Knowledgebase Question

lancaster, Ca
Question by myhonbun99
I grass is green and all of a suddenit starts to turn brown like it is dying. We think it might be the worms but i have search and can not determine which one. we also have webs across the lawn in the morning. we have put down the bayer insect killer for all the worms and the problem seem to start happen evry summer. We live in lancaster ,ca. What can I do for a green healthy lawn

The webbing is probably from the larvae of a moth (called sod web worm). Now that you have used Bayer Insect Killer, the larvae are probably dead. If your lawn suddenly turns brown as soon as the weather gets warm, I suspect you have a cool season grass. Cool season grasses grow wonderfully well in the fall, winter and spring months when the temperatures are cool, but goes dormant in the summer months when it's hot. No amount of water will make it green up. It will just wait until the weather cools and then start growing again. You can overcome this by overseeding your lawn with a warm season grass. It will go dormant in the fall, winter and spring but will green up in the summer months when the temperature is hot. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"