crabgrass - Knowledgebase Question

hutto, Te
Question by charleskrenz
I have a lawn that I started from seed. I'm very proud of my Bermuda / St Augustine blended lawn, but now I have a lot of crabgrass popping up. What can I do besides pulling it and leaving big holes in my yard. Thank you in advance.

It's easier to prevent crabgrass from growing than it is to control it once it has sprouted. You can keep it from sprouting in the first place if you apply a pre emergent on your lawn early in the season. (Scott?s Turf Builder with Halts) Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass. The compound prevents the weed seed from germinating, but it will not kill the newly sprouted seedlings. Watch the weather - late April to early May is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. A second application might have to be made to keep your lawn a little more crabgrass free. At this point, you might want to try raking it out or hand pulling. Agralawn Crabgrass Killer is the only product I know of that is safe to use on your St. Augustine/Bermuda turf. Next spring use the pre-emergent. That should keep the crabgrass under control. Proper lawn maintenance practices can limit crabgrass invasions. A dense stand of turfgrass prevents the weed from germinating and establishing. Fertilize at the end of May and remember that fall fertilizing, overseeding, aeration and thatch control can also limit spring problems. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"