Native celandine planting from seed - Knowledgebase Question

Weston, Ma
Question by klapholz
A friend has native celandine which produces lovely yellow flowers in the spring and oval seed pods. When is the best time to plant the seeds from the seed pod. I would love to propagate the same plant in my garden so any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you, Madelyn

Stylophorum diphyllum is the Celandine Poppy and the seeds germinate easily if sown fresh when harvested. Like its relative, bloodroot, celandine poppy seeds contain a fleshy aril making them difficult to store. Collect the seeds as they turn brown and sow outdoors in a seedbed that is kept evenly moist. (Sow just barely beneath the soil surface.) Seeds planted in the fall should germinate the following spring and bloom the second year. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"