Mushrooms in lawn - Knowledgebase Question

plainfield, Ne
Question by cornethiam
We had sod installed about 2 months ago. It sem s to be doing well but we have mushrooms sprouting in some areas of the lawn, front and back. What caused this and what do we do to gwt rid of them, organically.

Thanks, I love this site. You're always so helpful.

Glad you like the site! Some mushrooms grow in decaying wood or tree roots under the soil surface, and others feed off grass roots. In either case, the only chemical-free way to control the mushrooms is to remove the mycelia (the "stem" of the mushroom body) from the soil. Since your sod is new, I suspect the mushrooms are growing because the root system is moist. I'd just rake them out. There's not much else you need to do other than to double check your watering habits. Lawns need about an inch of water per week, and in hot weather, watering twice a week is usually all your lawn will need. Two months after installation, your sod should be well rooted and your goal should be to water deeply to encourage deep roots. Hope this answers your question.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"