Question concerning Caladium - Knowledgebase Question

Audubon, Pe
Question by annastefania
Can I dig this plant out before the first forst and put it in a pot and keep it in the house as a house plant? Then when spring comes, can I put it back in the ground?

Sounds like a nice plan but caladiums go into dormancy from fall until spring so when yours begins to die down this fall you'll want to simply store them in a cool dark place until replanting outdoors in the spring. Sometimes dormancy can be a little shorter and you might be able to get yours to grow in late winter. Here's how: When their leaves begin to turn yellow and droop in the fall, carefully lift the tuber, along with the attached foliage, out of the ground. Clean all the excess soil off them then allow the entire plant to air dry by placing it in a warm, sunny location. The foliage will begin to break away form the tubers and when this happens, take the foliage completely off, and pack the tubers in peat moss or sand. Keep tubers dry, well ventilated and cool, somewhere between 50-60 degrees, until they begin to grow again. When you see new sprouts, pot them up and begin watering on a regular basis. Best wishes with your caladiums.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"