Black Spot on Roses/Photinia - Knowledgebase Question

Midwest City, Ok
Question by copemichael
I am spraying Daconfil(sp), fungicide in hopes of stopping it from spreading. Is there anything to do each spring to help prevent this disease and loss of leaves that follows it's arrival?T he photinia has lost all its' leaves 2 yrs in a row. Should I just cut it down. We have raked all dead leaves from area, nothing seems to help?

0

Photinia leaf spot is caused by a fungus which starts its disease cycle early in the year. So practicing preventive medicine before new growth becomes infected is the way to handle this problem. Controlling leaf spot requires multiple sprays of fungicide, beggining at bud break and applied every 10-14 days until the all foliage has matured. Mature foliage is no longer susceptible to infection. Provided applications are made on schedule, plants should not be affected by leaf spot. Some products recommended include Banner, Daconil 2787, Bayeleton and Funginex. The same products are recommended for black spot on roses. I think the key is in making sure you reapply the product according to label directions. Raking up the fallen leaves will help stop the spread of the disease. Since your photinia has no healthy leaves, I'd prune it back now to encourage healthy new growth and just as the leaf buds begin to open begin your preventative spray program. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"