How to keep basil from dying when planed in the ground - Knowledgebase Question

Tucker, Ge
Question by rholstun
I planed basil in what I though was right soil and fertilized them with mu-mure. At first they did very well, then they started to die. Any suggestions on planting ?

Like most herbs, basil requires a sunny location that receives at least 6-8 hours of bright light per day, and they need well drained soil conditions. Depending on the amount of regular rainfall, water deeply every 7-10 days to insure the roots are receiving adequate moisture. Fertilize sparingly, using a 5-10-5 commercial fertilizer once or twice during the growing season at the rate of 3 oz. per every 10 ft. of row. While manure is a good fertilizer, it can be too hot for tender basil plants and can burn them. If all you have is manure to feed your plants, be sure to work only small amounts into the soil before planting your basil and be careful not to pile it up around the plants where it might burn the stems and leaves. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"