fertilizet - Knowledgebase Question

hutto, Te
Question by charleskrenz
What's the skinny on fertilizers. I'm starting my own lawn company and offering 2 free fertilizer treatments, spring/fall. I live around Austin and some people have water restrictions and some don't. The heat index reaches well over 100 mostly days. Thank you in advance.

0

Your clients will probably have warm season grasses (bermuda, St. Augustine, etc.) and the general advice is to fertilize with no more than 1/2 to 1 pound of nitrogen in spring after you have mowed the grass twice, and again in fall (around late October). Apply a product with a 3-1-2 ratio of nutrients as this is roughly the ratio of nutrients grass takes in. So, for example, if you purchased a 15-5-10 fertilizer (15% nitrogen), you would apply about 7 pounds per 1000 square feet (1 pound / .15 = about 7). If you purchased a 21-7-14 fertilizer (21 % nitrogen), you would apply about 5 pounds per 1000 square feet (1 pound / .21 = about 5). The following website is a water wise newsletter from the City of Austin and explains proper lawn fertilization and has more calculations that you might find helpful. Best wishes with your new business!
http://www.enewsbuilder.net/wa...

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"