Early blooming mums - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by suereddel
The mums I planted last fall for great color all came back quite well. One of them now has buds on it and it looks like it's about ready to bloom. Should I dead head them before they bloom or leave it alone? Thanks!

0

I'd pinch back the mums before they have a chance to flower. The usual course of events is to allow your plant to sprout in the spring and after it has developed 4-6 inches of growth, remove the top one or two inches of new growth by holding the stem between your forefinger and your thumb and pinching it with your thumbnail. This could be just below a set of leaves, but it does not have to be. You will soon see new growth just above this spot. When this new growth reaches 3-4 inches long, pinch it back again. Repeat as required until the first or second week of August. At this time stop pinching and just allow your mums to grow and develop flower beds. Before the flowers open you can thin the buds by removing all but the larger center bud. You'll have fewer flowers but they will be larger. Enjoy your mums!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "