CAN THESE BE COMPOSTED? - Knowledgebase Question

Massapequa Park, Ne
Question by ndpettit46
I can't find the answer to this question: Can sunflower kernels and peanuts be added to the compost tumbler? I know sunflower hulls are not recommended, and peanut shells are OK, just not sure about the nutmeats. I would be lost without you! Thanks so much (I'm pretty new at this, but I love it!)

You're right about the sunflower hulls - they are considered alleopathic because they contain a chemical which will inhibit germination of seeds. I suspect the chemical will dissipate during the composting process, though, unless you add pounds and pounds of them to a small compost heap. Sunflower kernals and peanuts are considered brown or carbon materials and they can be added to a compost pile. Because of their density, peanuts may take a year to completely decompose so if you plan to add some, chop them up into small chunks. As with anything you add to your compost pile, don't overdo or add too much of a single material. Best wishes with your compost!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"