Moles - Knowledgebase Question

Georgetown, In
Question by wilburstarke
I have a mole problem and have tried several remedies to chase them away, including the electronic spikes, Grub X and mole repellant, but they are still plentiful in my lawn and vegetable garden. Would you have any more sugestions?
PS. My neighbor even tried Juicy Fruit Gum. Nothing seems to work.

0

Moles can be so exasperating that I don't blame your neighbor for trying Juicy Fruit Gum as a last resort! The best way to control these pests is by trapping. Invest in one or two scissors-type traps and set them in the active runs. The best approach is to use a stiff metal probe (like a straightened wire coathanger) to find the main runs. Start at a mound of soil and explore the ground with the probe, finding the longest tunnel. You'll be able to tell by whether or not the probe penetrates into the soil easily. Short tunnels are used infrequently, so your best chance of trapping will be by placing a trap in a frequently used main run. Once you've found a likely tunnel, set the trap and cover it with a section of turf or a board to exclude daylight. Keep setting the trap until you stop catching moles and gophers. It may take an entire season, but persistence pays off and eventually you'll reduce the population of the creatures. Healthy soil naturally has a large population of insects. Wish there were an easier way to eliminate moles and gophers from the landscape.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"