planting on rocks - Knowledgebase Question

Swanzey, Ne
Question by chellas1
I have rocks around the base of trees. Some small, some large but none larger that 8 inches in diameter. Underneath is landscape cloth but I'm still getting lots of weeds which are very hard to pull. Hard on the back and very uneven footing.
I'd like to plant a ground cover or something that will spread over the rocks and stifle the weeds. I live in southwestern New Hampshire. Thanks.

Your new groundcover will need to grow in soil so you'll have to remove some rocks and the weed barrier from the spots you intend to plant. With that said, vinca is a good groundcover for a shady or sunny areas; Arctostaphylos coloradoensis (creeping manzanita) is another good choice; Hardy Plumbago is also one to consider. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"