irises - Knowledgebase Question

Port Huron, Mi
Question by frszcze
After the iris has bloomed and the flower is gone i have a large pod on some of them. what is this? is it a seed that I can plant?

0

Irises grow from rhizomes and although they can develop seed pods the seeds are not always viable and if they do sprout, the plants they produce are usually different from the parent plant. You can certainly try harvesting and planting the seeds but you may not have any luck at all getting them to grow. Instead, I'd prune off the flowering stem immediately after the flowers are spent. This will help to redirect the plants' energy into the rhizomes which will give them the reserves they need to flower again next year. If you'd like to try harvesting and planting the seeds, wait until the seed pod dries out completely and begins to split open. At that time collect the seeds and plant them in the garden, just barely covering the seeds with soil. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"