Small Pepper Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Felicity, Oh
Question by ericwoodall
I have several types of peppers in my garden. They are starting to flower and some are yielding fruit but the many of the plants are very small. I have been using a 6-24-24 fertilizer. Will the plants get bigger as the season progresses? Any advice for growing pepper plants?

0

The ultimate size of your pepper plants will really depend upon their genetics, the weather, and your soil type. Cultural practices can also play a role in the size of plants. As long as yours are putting out new growth, are flowering and producing fruits, they're probably happy. A 6-24-24 is low in nitrogen (promotes lush green growth) and quite high in phosphorous and potassium. Phosphorous encourages flowers and fruits; potassium promotes healthy roots and stems. Too much fertilizer can stunt the growth of plants so be careful not to overfeed. Aside from this caution, pepper plants love hot weather, lots of sunshine and well draining soils. Enjoy your peppers!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"