cherry tree - Knowledgebase Question

east brunswick, Ne
Question by arzaidi2002
I planted a cherry tree last year. It is not showing signs of any growth. It has leaves on few branches but growth has stopped. I saw some bugs on the leaves and holes in the leaves.

Bugs are usually the first to move in when a tree is unhealthy. The holes in the leaves indicate bug damage but their presence does not explain why your tree has not grown and flowered as it should. The problem is more likely due to winter damage or root stress. Try pruning your tree back to see if that prompts a spurt of growth. If not, there's a problem with the roots. Digging and replanting might be the best approach if this is the problem. Wait until the weather is cooler if you decide to dig your tree up. Fall is a great time to dig, amend the soil so it drains well, and then replant your cherry tree. Be sure to water it deeply once each week all summer long so it will have strength enough to re-establish its root system if you dig and replant it in the fall. Hope this does the trick!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"