bugs eating rhubarb leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Waukesha, Wi
Question by jjgrzeca
I have two new rhubarb plants this spring at our new home. Maybe this was farm pasture prior to our subdivision developement. The plants grew quickly from new roots, but the leaves are not very green or large. Now some type of bug must be eating holes in the leaves. What should I do to prevent the bugs from eating my plants. I did use Miracle Grow on the plants, but it hasn't helped the color

It could be that your rhubarb is getting too much sunshine if the leaves are pale and small. These plants do best in morning sun/afternoon shade. Having insects munch the leaves won't really hurt your plants - you don't eat the leaves, only the stalks. Without knowing exactly what's munching on the leaves I hesitate to recommend a pesticide. It's best not to use anything at all since you'll be eating the stalks and you won't want pesticide residues on them. I'd just put up with the leaf damage. Good luck with your rhubarb.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"