Tissue-Culture Propagation - Knowledgebase Question

Marshfield, MA
Question by gardening35
I'm interested in buying blackberry and raspberry plants. I've been advised to stick to plants that were grown with tissue-culture propagation. Is that true of yours?

0

Tissue culture, or micropropagation, is a way of getting an exact duplicate of a parent plant. It's a long and involved process that produces a tiny clone that will take years to grow to maturity and become productive. For this reason, most plants produced through tissue culture are rare or extraordinarily special, and their prices reflect the time and care involved. Raspberry and blackberry plants are brambles that vigorously produce new stems and roots all on their own, without much encouragement from humans. These stems and roots develop into juvenile plants that are so similar to the parent plant that it would be difficult to tell them apart. Because of their ease of propagation, it's unlikely you'll find berry plants that have been produced through the process of micropropagation.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"