Chipmunks - Knowledgebase Question

Palos Park, Il
Question by avsv209
How do I keep chipmunks from digging holes in and around my flowers and shrubs?

I'd think first about trapping the critters. There are live traps available and sometimes your county animal control department will loan these types of traps out. Failing that, the easiest would probably be to cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Cats, chipmonks and bunnies don't like to walk on it. You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage chipmonks from taking up residence in your yard. I realize these aren't really simple solutions...but it's not a simple problem!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"