palm trees - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Wayne Kawell
Phoenix, Ar
Question by fourwayne
I live in Phoenix Az. I was wondering about what type of fertilizer do I use for queen palms? The fronds keep dying. Also right now there flowering dropping the dead flowers in my pool making a mess.
Thank you Wayne Kawell

It is natural for the older fronds to dry up and it begins at the tips of the fronds. The fronds in question may simply be showing their age. When they are completely brown, just trim them off. If you don't think it is just natural aging, it could be due to hot dry winds and the accumulation of summer heat. Our soil is alkaline, which causes them to suffer from nutrient deficiencies. Any good palm food will resolve the nutrient problem. I give my palms small doses of Ironite every few months to counteract the soil alkalinity. If all the other palms are doing well with the amount of water you are providing, I don't think it's a watering issue. Try the Ironite to see if that doesn't bring a deeper green to the fronds.

If dead flowers are dropping and making a mess, just prune the flowers off before they die and you'll resolve the problem.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"