peach tree - Knowledgebase Question

hyattsville, Ma
Question by avebarry
my peach tree look gd & bear gd looking fruits, however the fruits had worms in them what do I do?

The larvae you describe attacking your fruit sound like oriental fruit moth larvae. Larvae overwinter in the soil and emerge as moths in spring, when they lay eggs on twigs and the undersides of leaves. A shallow cultivation around the base of the tree will kill some of the larvae. Don't cultivate too deeply, or the roots may be damaged. Also look for cocoons on the bark or in fall -- remove these as well. If some of the twigs die back in spring, they could be victims of the first generation of the fruit moth. You can spray a summer oil to suffocate eggs and larvae, but contact your county extension office to find out when to apply the oil. If your timing isn't correct, the spray will do no good. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"