Clematis woes - Knowledgebase Question

Woodbine, Ma
Question by kain101
I planted a clematis this Spring by my mailbox. It continues to gethave leaves that get black and parts die off. I did spray with a fungicide/insecticide and just recently tried a tablespoon of lime (watered in) in the surrounding soil. Would a soil test be in order? Are there potential problems with salt/chemicals used from snow removal? However, all other plants in area are OK-astilbe,hosta

The blackened leaves do suggest a disease but now that you've used a fungicide, it should recover. A soil test won't help - diseases appear when growing conditions are overcrowded and lack adequate fresh air circulation, or when the plant's leaves remain too wet for long periods of time. Hope your clematis recovers soon!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"