Japanese Beetles - Knowledgebase Question

Springfield, Mi
Question by eeya_22
My apple tree has been invaded by Japanese beetles, which are quickly defoliating the tree, and I fear they will kill it soon. Most of the advice I can find involves picking the beetles off by hand and dropping them in soapy water, and applying a bacteria to the lawn to kill the grubs (3 year process). I cannot find any useful solutions for getting them off a full grown tree. Any suggestions?

Carbaryl (Sevin 50WP) will control the adults but I prefer to use something a little less powerful. Try neem oil (Bonide Bon-Neem or Green Light Neem Concentrate) or cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer Concentrate) or permethrin (Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-Purpose Insect Control Concentrate) are labeled for use against Japanese beetles on crape myrtle and on fruit trees. As with all pesticides, read and follow all label instructions and precautions.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"