Summertime tomato plant production - Knowledgebase Question

Summerfield, Fl
Question by jbcar
How can you get a tomato plant to produce fruit in the heat of summer. I previous years the second half of the summer planting of all types of vegetables has been very non productive
Thank you, J.Carter

Tomato pollen isn't viable much over 90 degrees, so fruits won't set. What have your temperatures been? Another possibility is that the flowers aren't being pollinated at all. There aren't as many bees and other pollinators around as in past years. If temperatures are below 90, try gently tapping and shaking your tomato plants in the early morning, which helps pollinate. For vining crops, such as squash and cukes, hand-pollinate with a Q-tip to see if you can get some fruit to set by rubbing the pollen from the male (without a small fruit behind the flower) into the female (with a small fruit behind the flower). I hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"