Hummingbird scrubs - Knowledgebase Question

Reading, Pe
Question by gayleschult
I read your recommendations for attracking Hummingbirds. Are any of these for pure shade areas? If not please recommend some shrubs that flower for shaded areas & where I can get them. I used your on-line helper & went to your stores (3) with the printed copies and they had no idea what I was talking about. Also my landscaper planted shrubs in two areas twice but the they both drowned. Prevention?

If you would like to attract hummingbirds to a shaded or partially shaded garden, you simply need to choose from the plants that are known to both survive on little to no sunlight, and also offer an attractive route for hummingbirds. Here are a few suggestions: Flowering Quince- The flowering quince is a large flowering bush whose vibrant scarlet flowers are especially attractive to hummingbirds throughout the spring and summer. The plant can grow up to 10 feet tall when healthy. While the plant can survive in full sun if well watered, the flowering quince thrives in partial shade. In warmer climates, the plant may even flower in the winter, attracting hummingbirds to your garden year round.

Red Buckeye, a small flowering tree found most prominently along the Atlantic coast of the United States. The plant thrives in shade, and the deep red flowering spikes that bloom in early spring are very attractive for hummingbirds. In fact, the red buckeye is pollinated by ruby-throated hummingbirds, though it will attract all species to your garden in warmer months.

Turk's Cap is a perennial, ever-blooming flowering shrub popular in the south central United States. The shrub can thrive in both full sun and partial shade, the only difference being the height. In a partially shaded garden, the shrub is likely to only reach 4 feet tall. The height is no less attractive to hummingbirds, however, as the birds favor the shrub's red, white and pink flowers, which bloom from May to November.

Hummingbird Mint, or Agastache, is a species of flowering herb plant commonly found in dry climates of southwestern United States, though it can grow in any well-drained soil. Agastache is attractive to hummingbirds in the late spring and early summer, when the herbs are fully flowering. Though the plant can survive well in the sun, they are especially well suited for shaded areas or partial morning and afternoon shade.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"