Plants not producing - Knowledgebase Question

Richmond, Vi
Question by lhyman
I have a small raised bed vegetable garden I planted in May. My cucumber plants' leaves are abundant and healthy, but there are very few cucumbers. My squash plants have not produced any fruit at all, despite abundant flowers. They bloom, die and fall off. As far as I know I did not over pesticide them. Could the extremely hot weather - 100 + degrees- have anything to do with this? Could they still produce?

0

It sounds like your plants may not be getting pollinated. Cucumber and squash plants need to be pollinated by bees in order to set fruit. If they blossom, but then the blossoms die and fall off without turning into fruits, these are either male blossoms (ones that only produce pollen) or unpollinated female flowers (ones that would have produced fruits. You mentioned using pesticides. Many pesticides are toxic to bees, so make sure that if you do spray you are targeting a specific pest and spraying for a reason. Then spray in the evening when the bees aren't flying to minimize harm to them. It is still possible for you to get fruits if the flowers get properly pollinated.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"