Hare infestation - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by bboilini
We have a hare infestation in our neighborhood and they are destroying our yard. I have tried many different things and nothing works...they are digging holes, eating plants including our rose bushes. Any ideas of what we can do? Thank you

Unfortunately, the only sure way to keep hares and rabbits out of the garden in with a fence. Fences should be 2 feet high to keep out true rabbits, 3 feet high to keep out hares. With either kind, the fencing should be made of 3/4" diameter wire mesh and should extend underground vertically about a foot and then bent at a right angle away from the garden for about another foot (kind of an underground L-shape) to prevent the rabbits from digging under. If you already have a fence in place, you can just add this underground wire barrier to it. If you are trying to keep rabbits out of an area in the winter, the fence need to extend 2-3 feet above the snow level.

You can protect vulnerable young plants in the garden with row covers and, to protect individual trees, you can make cylindrical wire guards around the trunks. These need to extend above the snow line to protect the trees in winter. There are commercial rabbit repellents on the market, but they need to be reapplied frequently. And dogs are pretty good deterrents. I never see rabbits, which are abundant in my neighborhood, in my backyard where my dog roams, but every year they eat the crocuses in my front yard down to the ground!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"