Blight - Knowledgebase Question

Ford City, Pe
Question by szymanskit
1. What can I use to stop the tomato blight?
2. what can I use to stop the brown spotting on my grapes?

The first thing to do is figure out what disease is affecting your tomatoes. Late blight was a big problem in the Northeast last year, but there are other diseases such as early blight and leaf spot that can also affect tomatoes. Here's the URL to a website with lots of photos and info on late blight and other diseases to help you make a diagnosis: http://www.longislandhort.corn.... If your tomato plants are just showing signs of infection, you can try removing and destroying infected plant material; if the plant is badly infected it's best to pull it up and destroy it. Fungicides can be applied to prevent new infections but they will not cure existing ones. So they may be helpful in preventing the spread to uninfected plants. To find out what fungicides are labeled for use against late blight on tomatoes in your state, contact your local Cooperative Extension Service or Master Gardeners program. Here's the URL to a site that will help you find the contact info for your county:

The brown spots on your grapes are probably due to a fungal disease caused black, which causes light brown spots surrounded by a dark brown line. This disease is more severe if spring and early summer weather is wet. Infected fruits eventually shrivel up. You may also see spots on the leaves. Prune out and destroy all infected plant material and clean up any fallen leaves or fruits at the end of the season. You can spray with a fungicide to control the disease, but you need to begin spraying early in the season. You need to spray when the new shoots are 6-10 inches long, just before and just after bloom and continue every 10-14 days as the grapes mature. Again, contact the Extension Service for advice on a specific fungicide. When using any pesticide, read and follow all label instructions and precautions.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"