Out of control grass - Knowledgebase Question

Miami, Fl
Question by mroddabmw
I have several shrubs and bushes, some standing alone surrounded by grass, others around palm trees, also surrounded by grass. The problem is grass is growing and taking over the shrubs. It's too deep into the middle to cut out and I can't get to it all. Why is this happening and how do I stop it?

0

Grass will spread by runners and by seed into any open area. To prevent it from taking over a shrub bed, you can mulch around the shrubs to keep weeds and grass down, but you will still need to police the edges where lawn and mulch meet and do periodic weeding to keep the grass from creeping in. Once it has invaded a bed, it can be difficult to get the grass out. Persistent hand weeding is really the best option. If you are careful, you can try painting just the blades of grass with a non-selective herbicide such as Round-up using a foam brush (be sure to wear heavy rubber gloves and protective clothing), taking care not to get the herbicide on your desirable shrubs. Once you have the grass out of the shrub bed, you may want to put in a plastic or meatal barrier edging strip between the bed and the lawn to make it harder for the grass to creep in.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"