Great shade plants and perennial flowers - Knowledgebase Question

West Jordan, Ut
Question by Carolannwile
A large part of my front yard by the front on my house is shaded most of the day. I have had a hard time keeping it looking nice. In the Spring, my tulips are amazing but after they bloom and are gone my bleeding heart is the only thing that looks great. Any suggestions and ideas would be great. We have a big bay window in the front. Thanks for your help

Mostly shaded areas can be a challenge and it's often necessary to experiment to find what works best in your specific conditions. It wasn't clear to me if you had flower beds or a lawn, but there are no great lawn grasses for shade, so I think it would be easier in the long run to transition to garden beds with mulched paths or groundcovers, or a rock garden with interesting succulents (such as hens and chicks), sedums and wildflowers, with perhaps a little water feature.

Here are flowering plants that take shade: Perennials -- Anemone, Columbine, Astilbe, Campanula, lily-of-the-valley, Dicentra, Digitalis, Ferns, Hosta, daylilies, Liriope, Monarda, Pachysandra, Thalictrum, Vinca, navelwort (Omphalodes cappadocica), blue lungwort (Pulmonaria angustifolia), pinkroot (Spigelia marilandica), bellwort (Uvularia grandiflora) and sweet violets (Viola odorata). Annuals -- Begonia, Browallia, Coleus, annual Foxglove, Forget-me-not, Impatiens, Primrose, Torenia, Viola. Bulbs -- Begonia, Caladium, Camassia, Elephant's ears, Lilium, Narcissus, Scilla, Callas.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"