pest control - Knowledgebase Question

benton harbor, Mi
Question by emmabruin
What can I use on the greens in my garden to keep worms and insects from eating holes in them.

0

I'm not sure if you are referring to plants like lettuce, spinach, etc. in your garden. It's important to identify the insects that are doing the damage in order to know what control measures to take. Most caterpillars or worms can be controlled with the very safe microbial insecticide called Bt. Flea beetles are little black insects that chew many small holes in the leaves. These can be controlled with the microbial insecticide spinosad. Slugs are worm-like creatures that chew holes in leaves at night. You can set bury old tuna can filled with stale beer at soil level in the garden- the slugs will crawl in and drown. Make sure any pesticide you use is labeled for use on your specific crop as effective against the target pest. For help with insect ID and pesticide recommendations, contact your local Master Gardeners program. Here's the URL to a link that will help you find the one in your area: http://www.ahs.org/master_gard...

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"