Raised Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento, Ca
Question by mevans72
I build a raised garden 4x8x16 with a place to sit on one side. I filled it with potting soil and mulch. i planted tomatoes, string beans, peppers, cucumbers. the only things doing well are the tomatoes. the cucumber leaves are turning yellow. Mushrooms are going in the garden. where did i go wrong?

0

Sorry to hear your having trouble with your raised garden. First for a vegetable garden, I would make sure your getting an adequate amount of sunlight (at least 6 hours) each day. In addition it appears that your soil properties are an issue... The potting soil may be too dense and not allowing the roots for your garden plants to establish. I would add some peat moss and compost into the soil and mix it well so that it is loose enough for your vegetable plants to establish. You may also be watering too much if the soil continues to be saturated (not allowing much needed air to the root systems). This is why the leaves may be turning on you as well. Hope this helps and good luck!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"