Reason for small and few fruit on Nectarines - Knowledgebase Question

Mesa, Ar
Question by bizzzzyme
I have 2 dwarf Nectarine trees planted in very close proximity. They're both quite lush but one is staying a lot smaller and the fruit of both is very small and sparse after 3 years in the ground. Is it possible I'm being too good to the trees and they're making new growth instead of fruit? They're surrounded by lawn and fertilized after they began leafing out, some Winter pruning done.

It often takes several years or more for fruit trees to begin bearing well. They need to get established and make vegetative growth before they are ready to begin setting a good crop of fruit. As to why one tree is growing more vigorously than the other, even though they are next to each other, sometimes it's hard to figure the cause of the difference. It could be that when you purchased them, one had a healthier root system. If your trees aren't flowering heavily, it may help to cut back some on the amount of fertilizer you're giving them.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"