Lawn Moss - Knowledgebase Question

Tunkhannock, PA
Question by Wendyfan1
I would like to know how to get rid of a brown type of moss that is growing in my lawn and seems to be spreading?

0

Based on your description it's a bit difficult to identify the moss or the specific cause of it, but generally speaking moss (and other weeds) grow in places where soil problems or other environmental causes lead to unhealthy grass. When the lawn is sparse enough, the invaders get a foothold and in some cases outcompete the grass over time which is what it sounds like is happenening with your lawn. Assuming the lawn receives enough sunlight, the next most likely cause for unhealthy grass is soil-based. You might wish to run some basic soil tests to see what if any amendments might be good for your lawn. Your County Extension can help with the tests and with interpreting the results. Their telephone number in Wyoming County is 836-3196.