Shady area - Knowledgebase Question

Orlando, Fl
Question by debbie_q2003
I am not sure if my last request went through because it took me to a differnt page so sorry if you get this 2 times.
I have a very shaded back yard and was wondering what I could plant in place of grass or grass that will grow well in shade. Also some shade plants
Thank you in advance

Unless you have at least 1/2 day of sun in your backyard, I would not even try to grow grass, but grow groundcovers and use mulch instead. One of the most shade tolerant grasses are the fescues, but they probably won't grow well. Try groundcovers such as wild ginger, goutweed, ivy, liriope, or pachysandra and mulch heavily traveled areas with bark mulch. Check local nurseries for the groundcovers mentioned as well as others that grow well in Orlando. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"