Layering shrubs in a bed - Knowledgebase Question

Lugoff, So
Question by myrtlejames
I am planning to layer mini crepe myrtles (cherry razzle dazzle) in a row and behind them some burgundy loropetulum (sp). These will be in a bed on the sideyard of my home. From what I read the loropetulum (sp) will grow higher than the cherry razzle dazzles. Is this correct? Which should be in front and how far apart should I plant the shrubs - side-to-side and front row to back row? thanks!

The Cherry Razzle Dazzle crape myrtles will grow about 3-5 feet tall and wide. Space them about 4 feet apart. The Burgundy loropetalum is a much larger plant, so this should go in back. Unpruned it will get about 12 feet tall and 8 feet wide, but you can keep it to about 6 feet tall and 5 feet wide with pruning. The spacing will depend on how much you want to prune it. I'd leave at least 5 feet between the front and back rows, more if you let the loropetalum get larger.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"