hedges or shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

Gulf Breeze, Fl
Question by zepey1
I want to plant a hedge between my house and my neighbors house. This area is mostly sunny with shade in the evening. What type is fast growing and hardy? What type of holly grows well in my region? Thank you for your help.

0

Leyland cypress is a tall evergreen shrub, but when grouped together they make a wonderful privacy screen. Other considerations might be Calocedrus decurrens (incense cedar), Garry elliptica (coast silktassle), Leptospermum (tea tree), Myrica wax myrtle) or Cupressus (cypress). But sounds like your looking for a hedge instead of a privacy screen so for large hedge (in lieu of a tall screen) try Oleander or for a medium size shrub/hedge try Dwarf Indian Hawthorn. For your holly question, try Ilex opaca - American Holly does well from Massachusetts to Florida. Good Luck!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"