Brown Spots on Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Worth, Te
Question by rgpraise
Our lawn has brown spots.

How do we find out if we have grub worms. We have looked and found no live worms in the areas.

Soe say we have a fungus? How do we know and what do we do?

I think it is a lack of water and we are trying to get more water.

There are a number of possibilities that may be causing brown spots on your lawn. Usually if grubs are the problem you will see them in the ground if you take a spade and lift a section of damaged turf. Sod webworms, chinch bugs and a scale insect called ground pearls can also cause brown spots in the lawn, as can some fungal disease such as pythium blight.My suggestion is to get in touch with your local County Extension Service office and they can direct you to someone who can get more specific information from you and help you to come up with a definite diagnosis and make control recommendations. The URL will take you to a page that will give you information on contacting the Extension Office in your county:

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"