Dead St. Augustine - Knowledgebase Question

Bedford, Te
Question by cbshepard
Hi, I live in the Dallas, TX area and have St. Augustine grass. Recently, I've noticed a few dead spots where the grass is yellowing and dying. What do I need to do to correct this?

There are also two oak shaded areas in my backyard where my grass isn't growing. Any ideas on how to get it going in those areas? Thanks in advance for your help.

I would replace the sod in the dead areas first. It is best to dig out the dead spots and then sprinkle some compost over the soil before setting your new sod.

If the oak trees are the problem it is probably due to roots near the surface that make the soil under the grass not as deep for the grass to root in. Oaks do compete with turf roots but your spots seem to indicate localized problems not something everywhere around the tree. There is little you can do except provide adequate water and fertilizer.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"