The front cover of this book offers the synopsis: "150 disease-free varieties that will change the way you grow roses. Peter's ratings for fragrance and disease resistance make it easy to choose the right rose for your garden. I wish I had this when I planted my rose garden twenty-five years ago. I am now about to plant another garden, full of wonderful rose varieties and I intend to follow Peter's advice wholeheartedly." -Martha Stewart.
I would like to introduce you to the author, Peter Kukielski.
- Peter was the former curator of the award-winning Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden at the N.Y. Botanical Garden.
- The following article appeared by the N.Y. Times about the 2007 renovation under the leadership of Peter.
- In 2010, the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden received the Great Rosarians of the World Rose Garden Hall of Fame Award.
- The All-American Rose Selections (AARS) committee voted it "America's Best Public Rose Garden Display".
- In 2012, the garden received the Award of Excellence from the World Federation of Rose Societies.
His information is presented in a friendly and reassuring tone. He seems to have a clear understanding of the homeowner's frequent frustrations and disappointments with unsuccessful planting results. The preface reads: "(It's not your fault)". Chapters include topics on the evolution of roses, regional rose growing, what roses need, planting and pruning roses, diseases and pests. The reader can look up roses by color and class. The chemical-free directory consists of 150 roses.
As you turn the pages, you almost get the feeling you are on a rose walking tour with Peter as your guide. Individual spectacular color photographs, each with a rating system, are broken down by disease resistance, flowering, fragrance, and total rating. Along with interesting factual details about each rose, there is a section listing complementary companion rose selections.
I purchased this book because I wanted to be successful. Do you want to find roses that will need no spraying and satisfy your desire for gorgeous blooms? This book may be your answer - it surely has built up my confidence.
Below please find a few of the 150 roses from the book presently in my garden - anxiously awaiting a new shipment....Happy Gardening