Catnip Dreams

Posted by @threegardeners on
Most of us have used catnip in the obvious way, to keep our cats amused. Did you know that catnip has many other uses as well? Let's take a look.

2012-06-15/threegardeners/d22e75Nepeta cataria. Catnip.

We all know the effect it has on cats. They sniff it, eat it, roll around on it, and then go to sleep. It has a calming effect.

Did you also know that it can be drunk as a tea to help us sleep or relax? That calming effect works on 90% of humans too (it has the opposite effect on the other 10%). Add a couple of teaspoons of fresh leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried) to a cup of boiling water and steep for 10 minutes for a nice calming drink when you're stressed. Sweeten with honey or stevia.

Catnip is a relative of mint, but it has a sharper taste. A couple of fresh catnip leaves can be added to salads. Catnip is also purported to aid in digestion.

Like most things, catnip should be consumed in moderation. I won't drink more than 1 cup at bedtime. I might drink 2 cups to help ease a sore throat; I find it helps because I talk for 8 hours a day for my job. Catnip can have a diuretic effect on some people. Do not use if pregnant or have menstrual problems because catnip can increase menstruation in some women.

 
Comments and discussion:
Thread TitleLast ReplyReplies
Untitled by ivyplantsnycApr 10, 2014 10:29 AM29

Give a thumbs up
Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Zinnia 'Zahara Double Fire'"