By William Moss
- Cut back foliage of spring bulbs once it begins to yellow.
- Prune broken, dead, and diseased branches.
- Deadhead shrubs and perennials to focus plant energy on root growth
instead of seed production.
- Deadhead annuals to promote more flowers.
- Clean tools after each use.
- Annuals, vegetables, and container plants need regular applications
throughout the summer.
- Apply mulch to conserve water and reduce weeds.
- Good options include wood chips, pine needles, straw, cocoa shells,
July Planting for Late Summer and Autumn Bloom
- Tender perennials: potted begonias, dahlias, canna lilies
- Hardy perennials: mums, Japanese anemones, asters
Caring for Lawns
- Raise lawnmower blade to a height of 3 inches because longer grass
is healthier and shades weeds.
- Don't fertilize turf in the heat of summer unless it's routinely
Visiting Public Gardens
- Visit gardens, parks, and forest preserves to view summer displays
and get ideas.
This article is categorized under: