The Q&A Archives: Porcelain Berry

Question: I can't locate any information on a shrub my sister calls a "porcelain berry". I would love to find this plant and do a little research on it, but I don't know the real name or scientific name.

Answer: The scientific name for this plant is Ampelopsis brevipedunculata. Technically it is a vine, but it can be grown in a shrub-like form as well. It is hardy through a wide climate range and very easy to grow in sun or shade although it fruits best in a sunny spot. It grows quickly to about 15 feet or more. Japanese beetles can disfigure it terribly, and the berries are often eaten by the birds so that the ornamental effect is lost quickly. Finally, the plant self seeds abundantly and is considered a pest in some areas. The fall berries however are beautiful, an "unreal" porcelain-blue.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Lilium 'Pink Perfection'"