The Q&A Archives: Non-Blooming Trumpet Vine

Questioner's Location: Great Falls, MT
Date: April 24, 2000

Question: I have a trumpet vine that is 2 years old. It only has produced 3 or 4 flowers over the last 2 years. It seems to bloom right at the end of our growing season and the frost kills it before I can enjoy it. Is this the worng type of vine for our area or is there another problem? Also, I have to cut it to the ground each fall.

Answer: Brugmansia, or trumpet vine, is marginal in your climate. It needs direct sunshine and would probably do better in your region if it were planted against a south or west facing wall where it could receive reflected heat. Without a long, warm summer, it will refuse to bloom. You might consider potting it up and taking it indoors over the winter months, then placing it outdoors in the summer time.

Q&A Library Searching Tips:

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "woodpile coleus"