The Q&A Archives: No Flowers On Impatiens

Question: I have planted in pots impatiens. When planted in the Miracle Grow Potting Soil, there were beautiful white flowers. The flowers have now gone and for two weeks no new ones have grown. There are little holes in some of the leaves, and some of the leaves are turning yellow.

Answer: Impatiens do best in a partly shady (morning sun or dappled light all day) location and the potting soil should be kept evenly moist (but not sopping wet). They appreciate a water soluble fertilizer applied according to the label instructions (overfeeding is not better than underfeeding). Allowing them to dry out, keeping them too wet, over or underfertilizing or excess sun can all cause problems. I am not sure what would be making the little holes in the leaves, although slugs are a possible culprit. To control those, sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the soil surface and check under the pots and in other nearby dark damp hiding places to hand pick them.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Lilium 'Pink Perfection'"