The Q&A Archives: Hollyhocks

Question: My hollyhock leaves are being eaten by something and are dying back. What kind of tips can you give me?
Thanks Jackie Johnson

Answer: Hollyhock leaves can be eaten by caterpillars and bothered by thrips. If you can't see the pest, they may have already moved on so no chemical control is needed. If you find caterpillars feasting upon the leaves, Bt is a good control. Apply according to label directions. Unfortunately, hollyhocks can also become victim to borers and weevils. Inspect the stems for entry holes or tell-tale sawdust-like material. If you find these pests, you may not be able to save your plants. Be sure to cut down and remove any infested plant stalks because the larvae overwinter in hollyhock debris. Best wishes with your hollyhocks!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Lilium 'Pink Perfection'"