The Q&A Archives: Summer Planting

Question: I'm moving to a new home in June, and I want to start planting right away. What plant projects can I get underway at that time of the year?

Answer: You can plant just about anything you'd like. You need to keep in mind that everything you plant will need to be kept watered, and perhaps shaded if it's really sunny. Be sure you soil is able to accept that water and hold onto it by mulching!Mulch is the very best thing you can do for your new plants. It will keep the roots cool and the moisture in the ground where it belongs.<br><br>I would avoid planting in mid-July to mid-August. It can really get brutally hot during that time. Your new plants will have a tough time establishing themselves. Come fall, you'll have more time to plant, as the weather cools. <br>

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Lilium 'Pink Perfection'"