The Q&A Archives: 10-10-10

Question: I am constantly getting questions about this and when to use the various combinations. Do you have a good handout available I can give ur HD customers?

Jim Horn (Mr. Jim)
Cashier in Garden Section
Shallotte, NC

jthorn5656@hotmail.com

Answer: I can't supply a handout, but I can give you some basic information on fertilizers. The 3 numbers indicate the 3 major nutrients in a fertilizer package. The first number represents nitrogen. Nitrogen helps plants green up. The second number is for phosphorous. Phosphorous promotes flowering and helps stengthen stems. The third number is for Potassium. This mineral encourages root growth and works in conjunction with the other two for strong stems. If your client wants to fertilize turfgrass, a fertilizer formula higher in nitrogen will help it green up. But it sould also container some potassium for good root growth, and very little phosphorous because it isn't necessary to promote flowering in turfgrass. If a client wants to encourage flowering, choose a fertilizer with a higher middle number such as a 10-20-10. For general purpose garden fertilizers, choose a balanced formula such as a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20. Hope this information clarifies things for you!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Lilium 'Pink Perfection'"