The Q&A Archives: Soil Depth

Questioner's Location: Malvern, Pe
Date: April 18, 2009

Question: Hello,
I recently bought some bulbs to plant in a strip of land I have. I started digging up the soil that was there and realized that about 3 inches down was pavement! Can I still plant my bulbs? Do I need to add a bunch of soil first? Same with a rose bush I bought. For now I put the rose bush in a large pot and covered it with soil.This is my first time planting!
Thanks,
Charity

Answer: Three inches of soil won't support any plant - except maybe weeds. How about planting your bulbs in a 12" deep planter and setting it over the pavement? Your bulbs will grow with plenty of root space and no one will be the wiser. A rose bush will grow in a 5-gallon or larger container. Sorry you found pavement under your garden!

Q&A Library Searching Tips:

Today's site banner is by MissyPenny and is called "peeking in-see the pumpkin buds"